North Carolina Home Builders Educational Foundation, Inc. Scholarships
The North Carolina Home Builders Educational & Charitable Foundation, Inc. accepts applications for its college scholarships each year between January and April. The foundation awards scholarships based on a combination of need and merit to four-year college students entering their junior or senior year and technical school students entering their second year who have declared their major in a construction related field.
To be eligible a student must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be nominated by a NCHBA member firm.
- Nominees shall be immediate family members of NCHBA member firms, related by blood, (i.e. children, step-children or grandchildren).
- Students related by marriage, (ie. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.) shall not be eligible.
- Immediate family members of any current trustee of the NCHB Educational & Charitable Foundation, Inc. shall not be eligible.
- Awards are for one year, but scholarship winners may submit a renewal application and be considered for renewal if they make satisfactory progress in their studies.
- Only full-time students will be considered. NCHBA defines a full-time student as one taking a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
Carefully Review These Instructions Before Submitting:
Application Forms For 2017-2018:
- If you are applying for the first time:
- If you are re-applying to renew your scholarship:
Deadline to receive applications to NCHBA office is April 28,2017
Questions? Contact Alison Barnes at 919-676-9090
Scholarship Recipients Announced for 2016-2017
Four students were awarded $10,500 in college scholarships by the North Carolina Home Builders Educational & Charitable Foundation.
- Chandler Clodfelter, who received a $3,000 scholarship plus an additional $500 scholarship provided by the NC Professional Women in Building. Chandler is majoring in Construction Science at Clemson University. She is the daughter of Jill Clodfelter, a member of the High Point BA.
- Blake Hunsaker, who received a $2,000 scholarship. Blake is majoring in Construction Management at NC State University. He is the son of Mike Hunsaker, a member of the Johnston County HBA.
- Luke Fearrington, who received a $3,000 scholarship. Luke is majoring in Civil Engineering at NC State University. He is the son of Scott Fearrington, a member of the Greater Charlotte HBA (Cabarrus Chapter).
- Paul McNeely, who received a $2,000 scholarship. Paul is majoring in Mechanical Engineering at NC State University. He is the son of Chris McNeely, a member of the Salisbury-Rowan HBA.
Information on Other Scholarships Available
In addition to the NC Home Builders Educational & Charitable Foundation Scholarship outlined above, the following scholarships should also be considered. To be eligible, a student must meet the same requirements as outlined in the NCHBECF Scholarship guidelines.
- If you are a female pursuing a degree in a construction related field, you may also apply for the North Carolina Professional Women in Building Scholarship. This would be awarded in addition to the NCHBECF Scholarship. ($500).
- Caleb’s Endowment is awarded to students who also meet the NCHBA scholarship guidelines and would qualify as a “special needs” student. ($500)
- Sean Sullivan Tradesperson Scholarship was created in 2015 to be awarded to students who also meet the NCHBA scholarship guidelines and are attending a community college or trade school. This would be awarded in addition to the NCHBECF Scholarship. ($500)
- East Carolina University students pursuing a career in Construction Management may apply for the Rick Judson/NCHBA/National Housing Endowment Residential Construction Scholarship. Awarded amount varies. Note: The application process for this scholarship is through ECU and eligibility is slightly different than the other scholarships listed above. You can find out more
information on the ECU website.